Thursday, April 23, 2009

Trigger Finger?


Sometimes I can be a real worry wart. I like to get everything checked out "just in case". I think the doctors may be getting sick of me and my children. Actually, not really in fact we are there so much we know them quite well and they think the girls are as adorable as I do!!

Little Anna was helping me in the laundry room in Florida. We opened the dryer together but the clothes were not ready so with my knee I shut the dryer door. Well an itty, bitty, teeny, tiny thumb was still holding onto that dryer door and got shut in it. Oh my, my heart sunk, my little girl whaled and I quickly got it unstuck. I figured her nail might turn colors and eventually fall off but the injury turned out to be above the nail near the joint. We put a bandaid and medicine on it. She would not part with her bandaid for over a week. I noticed she wasn't moving it correctly or bending it so off we went to the Doctor ;-)  x-rays were taken , it was not broken- whew. A week late- still not bending it and it felt very stiff so we were referred to the orthopedic.

They diagnosed it as a trigger finger? It may have been like that from birth or could have been like that from the accident. We you force the thumb straight it pops (like a trigger on a gun) and then she bends it right away and it gets stuck in a bent position again. We are supposed to exercise it in hopes that it will heal itself. If it doesn't she may have to have a surgeon fix it, which we would do when she has another of her many cleft repair surgeries.

Of course I also had to have him check out her legs and hips. I know I'm a little odd! Her hips and legs are FINE- ;-) Yes she wears a diaper so at times looks bull legged ;-) and she does waddle occasionally but nothing that potty training wouldn't cure! Did you hear that honey POTTY TRAINING!!  You'd think I was saying YTOPT NRAIGNTI- she  just doesn't understand. ;-)

Gotta go outside- it's 82 and sunny! 

Pic coming soon!

4 comments:

Lori at JOY Unspeakable said...

LOL!!! I think that is the way Lucy hears potty training also! Too funny.

I'm so sorry about Anna's little finger! Poor little pumpkin. I guess she won't be going the shooting range anytime soon for target practice!

Sally-Girl! said...

So glad to hear her legs and hips are fine!! What a relief!!!

Jennifer O'Cain said...

My mom had trigger finger. She had a little surgery and she only missed one day of work. She said it didn't hurt. I pray that it won't come to that but if it does I don't think it is too bad.

klm said...

MOM! I can't believe you did that to poor little Anna's finger!!! ha ha :) just kiddddding. love you!