Thursday, September 24, 2009

Girls and their Hair!






When we found out the child #5 was a boy I went straight home and started fixing Katie's hair! I knew I hadn't done a very good job with it so far and thought maybe girl#2 would help us get into it a little more but then we found out their would not be a girl #2. Some Mom's are such naturals with hair - a friend of mine had 3 girls and their hair was fixed perfectly ... all the time!

Anna came to us with a buzz cut that was beginning to grow. So there was no pressure- not much I could do with it. Sarah's hair was a mixture of lengths. We had it trimmed in China so she could start fresh growing it out! She let me know right away, even before we could speak the same language that she wanted really long hair! Down to the floor long!

Whenever I fix little Anna's hair she somehow ends up in tears. Whether it actually hurts or she just expecting it to hurt, I'm not sure. It isn't my favorite part of our day but still we do the task! Sarah, on the other hand loves for me to comb her hair- she complains too, but that's part of the fun for her! If I fix her hair it will be redone within 15 minutes. I don't mind, she really is much better at fixing her hair than I am. I guess if I was good at it I would have had Katie all done up right 20 yrs ago!

So yesterday we had a conversation, this is how it went-

MOM- "Oh Anna, we really need to do your hair! We forgot to do it today!" (notice I like to spread the responsibility!)

ANNA- no response

SARAH- "Mom, you forgot to do it yesterday, too!"

MOM- "NOooo, I didn't. I wouldn't do that!" 

SARAH- "Yes Mom, I remember!"

MOM- "YOU must be remembering wrong honey."

SARAH- "No, I remember!" (and then we got an accounting of how it looked yesterday and today)

ANNA- Still no reaction, just happy I'm not combing it now!

MOM- "Now Sarah, I wouldn't forget to do her hair two days in a row." (Hey, I know I avoid things but I wouldn't do that? would I?)

SARAH-  "No mom, I remember. It looked like that yesterday with that big bump on top!"

MOM- feeling slightly inadequate at this point. "Honey, I am sure I brushed her hair yesterday, it has only been one day. And lets be done talking about it." by now Dad is in the room... Certainly don't want him to think I'm not taking good care of the girls and their hair!

LATER THAT NIGHT...
Kids are sound asleep, I'm in the shower and I'm thinking "OH crud!! She's right. We had swimming the day before and I didn't comb it before swimming cause it was just going to get messy and wet in the water. And I didn't comb it after swimming... why? Welllll, I didn't want too! She was happy and I didn't want to make her cry!
Okay I know I will need to talk to Sarah about this tomorrow morning and admit I was wrong, ugh.

MOM- "Sarah, You know, you were right. I didn't comb Anna's hair for two days. I'm sorry."

SARAH- "Yaaa, I remembered!" big smile "That's okay it was an oopsy!"

MOM- "Yes, I made a mistake, you were right and I was wrong. It was an oopsy!"

I love the heart and spirit of a child. So easy to forgive and forget. On a positive note maybe she will notice that her Mom is not afraid to apologize when she is wrong. Okay, it took 12 hours but I did apologize!

So, yes, I have combed Anna's hair today! Yes, she did cry, not for long, just enough to send the message- back off lady! Whatever will I do with 4 heads of long black hair? Please start setting your expectations really really low!


No comments: